Subject: Re: Problems booting a G4 over network
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN <muaddib@databit7.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2005 01:07:01
My experiences booting an OF1.0.5 machine over the network all resulted in
at least 10 copies of the tftpd running on the server and too much network
conjection for the bootloader to sort one stream from the next. And a
pretty bright collision LED on my switch. If you too are experiencing this
i might suggest adding some delays to the tftpd code. Or killing any
existing tftpds before launching from inetd, maybe. This is a theory i put
forth but never tested, but it seems logical enough to me that it might
help you.

So far booting from SCSI is the ONLY way i got an installer into the 9600.
I installed from cdrom, booted first from hard disk then from a SANDISK CF
card bridge to ATAPI then SCSI. It works wonders...

  On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Miles Nordin wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:23:53 -0400
> From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
> To: port-macppc@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: Problems booting a G4 over network

>    ms> 	Hello, I'm trying to boot a Powermac G4 with OFW 3
>    ms> over the network.
>
>    ms> If I use "boot enet:0,ofwboot.xcf" it will load the boot
>    ms> loader. But afterwards it will again just sit there, send out
>    ms> DHCP Inform messages and not mount the root via NFS
>
> I have this problem, too.  Did you ever figure it out?  It looks like
> Emmanuel Dreyfus reported it in June 2004 as well---did you ever fix
> it?

  Microsoft: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
  Linux: Where do you want to go today?
  BSD: Are you guys coming, or what?

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
 	www.aresnyc.org.