Subject: Re: newbie question, boot cd on beige g3
To: Dominic Williams <netbsd@dominicwilliams.net>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2005 09:23:20
> I did follow the instructions to patch the NVRAM using
> System Disk. Is there a way to tell whether that
> worked?

ide0 and ide1 devaliases will be present, which they are.

>  > that is for new world macs the ofwboot.xcf.  beige
>  > g3's are old world you also need to set the boot
>  > file.  it should be NETBSD.MACPPC. however it is in
>  > the documentation as described here

He is confusing ofwboot.elf with ofwboot.xcf. ofwboot.elf only worked with
new world machines, and has been deprecated for a while now. ofwboot.xcf
works on both new and old world machines.

You aren't booting netbsd.macppc, you need to boot the boot loader first,
which is ofwboot.xcf. ofwboot then attempts to boot a hard coded list of
kernels, if it can't find one it asks you what to do.

Assuming your cdrom drive is the secondary master IDE device, the boot
commands should be

setenv auto-boot? false
setenv boot-device ide1/@0:0
reset-all
boot ide1/@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF

if dir ide1/@0:0 doesn't show you a list of files on the disc, then you
probably have a hybrid ISO which won't boot on old world machines.