Subject: Re: kernel panic!
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/25/2005 13:26:28
Hello,

> please have a look here, perhaps that may shed some light:
>
> http://www.google.de/search?q=netbsd+mchk+2005

this is interesting
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/04/03/0003.html

I have
options         ALTIVEC         # Include AltiVec support

is this not enough ?

since I already have enabled this and the cache detect stuff, this isn't
a generic kernel anymore. SO how do I set optimization options? I
wouldn't compile with -O3. I did many benchmarks (in user-space code
though) and -O2 is usually the best. O3 can do damage to the code and
make it run slower in many cases. (thinking about risc cpus like sparc
and ppc, on x86 this doesn't hold so clearly). Often it could be a cache
limit maybe. I'd try to build the kernel with -Os :)

I thought current kernel was already build with at least -O1 which is
reasonable.

However in my persona programmers experience, it is very rare for a
compiler to fail when NOT optimizing. If such things occour it was
almost always a problem of my code (pointer problem, initializations
problems). SO I point out that there is some flakey code out there.

Thanks,
  Riccardo