Subject: Re: install, newfs kills system
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Jonathan Essex <jonathan.essex@iquality.co.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/31/2005 19:00:50
Many thanks,

Sorry to say, though, it didn't work: newfs on the 2.0.2 iso image=20
crashed and burned just the same on a partition created by Drive Setup.

Curiously, I got a little further with the 1.6.2 iso :- it at least=20
allowed my to format the smaller ('root') partition. It also core=20
dumped more gracefully when I tried to format the bigger ('usr')=20
partition; I'm guessing now that the reason the 2.0.2 iso blows up=20
quite so spectacularly is that there's not space for the core dump in=20
the installation cd's root partition (presumably some kind of ram=20
disk...)

Sadly, I'm not up to interpreting the core dump.

Interestingly, when I was installing OS9 in order to copy the boot=20
loader over to the hfs partition, I had some problems there, too.=20
Beginning to wonder if the darned machine isn't just broken...

Cheers
Jon

On 31 May 2005, at 15:12, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> Jonathan Essex schrieb:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Apologies and all, I have been until now a NetBSD virgin.
>>
>> I'm trying to install 2.0.2 on a G4 (sawtooth) from an CD blown from=20=

>> the
>> standard iso image as downloaded from /pub/NedBSD/iso/2.0.2 on
>> ftp.netbsd.org
>>
>> I have two IDE drives.
>>
>> The system boots fine off the CD, pdisk seems to create partitions =
OK,

timo.schoeler@macfinity.net