Subject: install, newfs kills system
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Essex <jonathanessex@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/31/2005 14:53:38
Hello all,

Apologies and all, I have been until now a NetBSD virgin.

I'm trying to install 2.0.2 on a G4 (sawtooth) from an CD blown from
the standard iso image as downloaded from /pub/NedBSD/iso/2.0.2 on
ftp.netbsd.org

I have two IDE drives.

The system boots fine off the CD, pdisk seems to create partitions OK,
but every time I try to run newfs on any of my freshly created
partitions (/dev/wd1a, for example) the system just restarts after a
couple of seconds. I can see some kind of error messages appear but
they are not visible for long enough to actually read them... :-(

I have tried creating partitions of different sizes on my two drives,
but always with the same result (excepting one time where the system
just hung... no unusual messages beyond the unable to change label name
which I gather is normal.

I have been using 'newfs /dev/wd1a' as an example command line
(substituting wd0a, wd1g, or wd0g depending on cirumstances)

It seems likely that I am doing something stupid. I would be humbly
grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction...

Thanks
Jon.