Subject: Re: powerbook g3 booting problem
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/26/2005 18:41:29
On May 26, 2005, at 2:18 PM, Chris Tribo wrote:

> No, OF 1 and 2 machines typically lose their settings if you do a
> power manager reset (powerbook), dead PRAM battery, or boot MacOS (1.x
> mainly, 2.x will change real-base I believe). You could update nvram
> or the firmware over firewire. The firmware update process on OF 3
> machines basically consists of copying the firmware update executable
> binary to the root of the hard drive, blessing it, telling the machine
> to restart and boot hd:,\\:tbxi, then when it's done it does
> "mac-boot" to get back to OS 9, erases the firmware file and blesses
> the OS 9 system folder. I don't really know a reason why you would
> want to update it over firewire, but I'm sure it could be done with
> some coding.

Makes sense.  Actually, its probaby better if doesn't can't what I was
thinking, at least as far as firmware updating..  Firewire /1394 is
memory addressed bus , arch, from my limited understanding, that
communicating over firewire is similiar to memory mapped access over
pci bus.   There's a machack program "FireStarter" where one can attach
two macs over firewire, and one can write to videoram of the other's
display, performing
a fractal fire place kinda of demo, it just writes directly to the
attached mac's vram,
so I was thinking since there's a of-node for nvram, perhaps on could
do it 'over' firewire...

> It is firewire bootable, but once booted the firewire code is so buggy
> that I question why anyone has enabled it in GENERIC kernels. The mere
> presence of the code seems to cause system instability. The code is
> just atrocious. It should be re-marked as experimental and disabled in
> all kernels until someone fixes it, or imports the FreeBSD code which
> allegedly works fine.

I've heard so little about it, I had thought one couldn't even attempt
it using a drive, that it recognized the controller, and not much more.
  I'll have to try it out -- experimentally.

>>> I can't think of anything show stopping that would prevent NetBSD
>>> from running on an old version of the firmware.
>>
>> Recently, I'm having problem with my mac's screen distorting, and
>> collapsing, kinda like
>> a tv or crt in a brown out, but lasting much longer, and not winking
>> out.  Hitting the net I found links to people having the problem who
>> didn't apply firmware update 4.1.9 before installing osx, well I had,
>> and my boot rom version seems to match the upgrade,
>> it affects everything, forth, macosx, and NetBSD, sometimes the
>> screen just stays off.
>> I've noticed there's PM update I've never applied though, and if it's
>> that I guess I'm glad I have macos available to try the update...
>> It's wierd, I can fix it by unplugging the mac for around hour, then
>> it will work for a few days.
>
> It could be the inverter board on your screen is going, or the cable
> is having issues. If the backlight is staying on then it's not likely
> to be power related. It is certainly possible that it is power manager
> related, our abtn driver does not handle brightness correctly and
> often tends to cause no display in OS X. I usually have to boot to OS
> 9 and adjust the brightness and contrast, then reboot to OS X, since
> OS X doesn't let you adjust the contrast from the buttons on the
> machine; and you can never get to full brightness in NetBSD. The pm
> update should keep your battery from going dead so quickly if I
> remember right.
>
>> Then again, my pram battery has been dead for maybe 2 years now, I'm
>> also kinda wondering if it may be the battery alone,  I remember once
>> not being able jump start a car, and thinking it was in pretty bad
>> shape, and mechanic jumped it by taking the battery out completely,
>> he sad something like a battery can get so dead it acts like a
>> resistor and sucks voltage out of the system... Anyway, I already
>> have a battery, it's just a matter of doing backups and taking the
>> mac apart...
>
> I hope it isn't as much of a pain as it is for the Wallstreet
> (complete system disassembly). They seem to have made it pretty easy
> on the Pismo, just pop the keyboard, replace the battery and snap the
> keyboard back down. Old world machines typically don't boot with a
> completely dead battery.

Sadly, the PM reset button is reachable, but the battery holder is just
out of reach of the memory door, so it's nearly as much work as
installing a new hard drive.