Subject: Re: Anyone found a workaround for "g4 boots, but doesn't auto-boot"
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/21/2005 17:11:56
thus Jeff Rizzo spake:
> As part of my aggravating saga of getting this g4/466 up to a point
> where I can use it for testing, I ran across an issue where I can get
> everything booting OK manually, but when I set auto-boot? to true, the
> machine hangs at a white screen.
>
> Googling a bit led me to several threads about it (the most recent one
> about a year old),  and a very old PR (12786) closed(!) with no useful
> information.  Has anyone made any progress on this?  Is there anything I
> can try?
>
> Between this auto-boot issue and not having a serial console, it's gonna
> be awful hard to do remote testing on this machine...
>
> Thanks,
> +j

i set up a machine for a customer two months ago (G3/300 b&w) to act as
mail server -- this did autoboot w/o problems. not tried it on my G4 yet.

IIRC there's different behaviour on different models (e.g. the
400/450/500 G4 series consists of two series which preceded the G4/466
you have).

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.