Subject: Re: G3 beige (with OF 2.4 and XpostFacto and OpenDarwin ...)
To: gerard <gerard@azurline.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/15/2005 03:08:36
On May 14, 2005, at 6:48 AM, gerard wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have many trouble trying to install NetBSD on a G3 beige (OF 2.4).=20=

>>> I have not a big experiences, but that go very well to install it on=20=

>>> a 7600/120!
>>> I have tray to install OpenDarwin, and to do that, I use XpostFACTO=20=

>>> (http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/XPostFacto/) A little utility=20
>>> that change the nvram values, and that lets install the news mac os=20=

>>> on oldworld machines.I was wondering about XPostFacto, you say have=20=

>>> install opendarwin with it?
> Yes ;-)=A0
>
>> And, is it that, that is what XpostFacto does, nothing else? =46rom =
the=20
>> ads, I thought
>> it wrapped the installer...May be some one can help me to found the=20=

>> exact command we have to change in the nvram, on adapt the XPostFacto=20=

>> to install NetBSD in a easy way on the old machineif one could dump=20=

>> the open firmware before and after, I think there something posted
>> to the list to do that, I can't find it...
> I put on these link some more informations=A0( i know photos are in =
bad=20
> resolution but !!;-()

Recently on the web I had seen a store, that was selling older G3's and=20=

including a copy of XPostFacto in a package deal, they claimed 'our=20
Xpostfacto' and called it shareware, the cost  was well above a=20
'copying fee'.

> 1/ photo=A0of the "printenv" on the machine after a boot after the=20
> "Xposfacto" NVRAM patch
> ftp://azurline.com/P1010097%20(Xpostfacto).jpg

Interesting , this is OF2 machine? .  My machine does not dump complete=20=

nvramrc
there. You've got the bootr source, seems like those files may be piped=20=

into some command/filter?  The backslash escaped lines look like forth,=20=

the others don't exactly.
hmm..  Perhaps something that does setenv line, by line.

I'm thing Xpostfacto may be shareware indeed, in the same way the=20
WinZip uses the info-zip lib (open source and free) -- just adds some=20
gui-eye-candy, and tack on $39 U.S...  At any rate, the meat and=20
potatoes of it seems to be covered by APSL, so should be ok.

How far have you gotten with your netbsd install? as I'm thinking , a=20
text file of forth
code, that one boots from OF prompt could install the nvramrc patch..
but one could also just clobber the darwin install?

> 2/=A0photo=A0of the "printenv" on the machine after a boot after the=20=

> "Systeme Disk"=A0NVRAM patch
> ftp://azurline.com/P1010101%20(SystemDiskTutorial)%20.jpg

I installed a system disk patch.. I think.. for my imac dv se ( summer=20=

2000 -- a g3 with OF3 ),  my nvramrc was not set by it, seem like bootr=20=

and the other commands in nvramrc
seem to most of the heavy lifting.

> 3/ two different file for the gossamer NVRAM patch (the ocme from the=20=

> projetc Darwin and XpostFacto source -> please take care to the=20
> APSL=A0Licence)
> ftp://azurline.com/Gossamer.h.txt
> ftp://azurline.com/PowerMac-G3.txt
>

>>> regarding the interesting post of Fabrice Delambre=20
>>> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2003/06/05/0000.html)=20
>>> referred in the NetBSD/macppc Model Support, it's speak about the=20
>>> "boot-command" 0 bootr ...
>>> I look on the OF variables installed by XpostFaxto on the G3 : it's=20=

>>> have install : "bo=46rom the post you reference, bootr is from the=20=

>>> system disk patches , does XpostFacto

>> include that image, and fix it so it works where it doesn't?, did=20
>> they have to get rights
>> to use it? Or did they reverse-engineer it , and re-imp it? I mean,=20=

>> one could maybe try 'see bootr'... but perhaps one could just clobber=20=

>> the darwin, after corrrectly install, you say you did opendarwin , so=20=

>> it is not actually osx?"boot-command 0 boort -v boot"is it really=20
>> this? or maybe "boot" is actually in the default column of printenv?
>> -- just that this really looks like a hodgepodge of forth syntax=20
>> idioms.
> Your right ... (I'm a Newbie...)

With OF being what it is, it might have have been legit.