Subject: Re: wm*?
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/13/2005 11:27:54
--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 03:06:16PM -0700, John Klos wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> >>So does that mean that, in the current state in 2.0 and in current, it
> >>works, but has issues when forwarding?
> >
> >wm in general had issues with forwarding. The router which was causing t=
he
> >problem was an x86 (just making sure we're clear that there wasn't a
> >macppc-specific issue here).
>=20
> The macppc issue I saw was that when I tried to turn on hardware=20
> checksumming, the card would cease to be able to talk.

Hmmm...

I just tried this, and I think I see the same thing you do. Enabling=20
ip4csum on this old kernel makes the whole nic stop. As does tcp4csum. I=20
don't have enough udp traffic to tell about it.

So looks like there's another bug. Note, I have an old kernel, but I don't=
=20
think that matters. I'll try a newer one though.

> Hmmm. What kind of problems were there? I have an i386 router which runs=
=20
> 1.6.2 and has five wm devices, forwards directly for most of them to the=
=20
> other ports, and does NAT to the world. Never had any forwarding problems=
,=20
> even running multiple gigabit stuff simultaneously and with hardware=20
> handshaking on. The cards in the i386 are the same kind as I have in a=20
> macppc machine, which is why I considered this a macppc specific problem.

ping wouldn't work for one. I filed a PR about it, and tron@ fixed it.

Take care,

Bill

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0