Subject: -current userland
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/04/2005 23:53:23
[resending -- didn't see my mail on the list...]

hi,

i updated my cvs stuff today and gave it another try.

i'm running 3.99.3 (MP) from today now on 2.0.2 userland :/

however, i was not able to build the tools on the 2.0.2 MP kernel -- it
crashed randomly (never finished building the tools) -- the whole
machine was just stuck (not even answers to ICMP).

i didn't have the console of the G4 on my powerbook, so there was no
possibility to get further into that.

anyway, using the SP kernel it worked and so i finally got my 3.99.3
kernel (and this still works only *with* optimizations -- tried an
unoptimized kernel which crashed; more on that later)...

the first attempt was './build.sh -j 8 -O /usr/obj -T /usr/tools
release' which ended up in cc consuming one CPU to 100 per cent, but
somehow 'hanging' in compiling 'write_pid.c'...

i started the second attempt (yes, on a clean dir and obj empty) with
'./build.sh -O /usr/obj -T /usr/tools release' (AFAIK this is an
implicit -j 1?) and this runs up to now (the machine builds yp_stuff
right now).

if this runs through it'd be the first time since october 2004 (approx.
the same time when -current stopped working for me because of MCHK).

just fyi,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.