Subject: Re: building -current userland
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2005 11:22:39
At 10:50 AM +0000 5/3/05, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
>On my SPARC system that I also use for building I sometimes run out of
>swap space with 160 meg of real memory and 200 meg of swap.  How much
>swap do you have?

I have 64M of swap.  This is what the default partitioning scheme from
1.6.2 installed.  As I documented several months ago, doing a fresh install
from the installers will pick up the partitioning scheme from previous
installations, even if the disk has been reformatted for MacOS in between.

According to my notes with the MP bug, on 12/5/04 07:50 AM, I was able to
build -current (2.99.11) from mid-November with 128M RAM and 64M swap.  I
posted this to the macppc list, and it is in my archive of the mailing
list, but is not in the NetBSD archive or any of nine other archives that
Google will bring up.  At least one other post not from me is also not
archived.

There is also no indication in /var/log/messages that processes were killed
by the kernel.  The releng.netbsd.org builds stopped at hpcmips for
5/2/2005.  As soon as releng shows a successful build I will cvs up and
attempt to build again.

tim