Subject: Re: Xfree on ibook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: zeta.orionis <zeta.orionis@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2005 13:15:58
Sorry, no help here, but I'm also having a problem with XF86Config=20
files on a very similar iBook: the 300MHz Feb 2000 model. (And NetBSD=20
2.0 here.) I can't even get X started; I get errors along this sort of=20=

line:
[from startx]
Xauth: creating new authority file
Xauth: (argv): bad display name :0 in "list" command
Xauth: (stdin): bad display name :0 in "add: command
[this loops a few times]
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

[from xinit]
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

The log file comments on something being wrong with the display=20
settings (sorry I can't be more precise; I don't have the computer=20
here). I generated my XF86Config file with XFree86 -configure, not=20
knowing any of the monitor settings, and I think it's still they that=20
are the problem. I have all the info about my video card, but not the=20
refresh rates and so on for the screen.

By the way, can I save the output of startx or similar to file? I'm=20
vaguely trying to do something like
startx | more > x.txt
but it produces an empty file.

When it comes to searching the net, there simply are no config files=20
for any iBooks under 800Mhz, at least that I can find. Add to that the=20=

warning in the manual about how entering the wrong refresh rates can=20
damage the screen (applies to LCDs?), and the 'create an XF86 Config=20
file' task gets very difficult.

Apple describes my screen as "12.1-inch TFT display with SVGA=20
resolution (800 by 600 pixels);" yours either the same or=20
"Active-matrix 12.1=94 color display (800 x 600)," depending on whether=20=

you've got the SE or Paris iBook (i.e., they give no useful=20
information).