Subject: Re: Booting a PowerMac 7200 (progress made since last time !!)
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9mi?= Zara <remi_zara@mac.com>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/01/2005 11:04:53
On Sun, 1 May 2005 16:37:26 +0200
R=E9mi Zara <remi_zara@mac.com> wrote:

> I should note that the boot is not reliable on my machine. I wonder =20
> if the kernel does not get corrupted (even in non-gz mode)
> sometimes.... I haven't been able yet to reproduce the panic which I
> sent earlier,  and it does not always stop at the same places.

When I did the OpenBSD to Old World Macs port, I found that erratic
behavior in the kernel generally indicated a corrupted image in memory.
Reading from a file system with OF 1.0.5 is particularly problematic,
as it has no real knowledge of the file system and just does a raw read.
The file has to be contiguous on the disk, which is why for early
development I recommend doing network booting. While not eliminating all
problems, it does reduce them to a manageable level. Once I was able to
get the image into memory reliably I was able to find and eliminate
reproducible problems.

tim