Subject: Re: Questions about Performa 6360.
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2005 17:48:07
--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:32:04AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > -- Booting from SATA I care not, I will be using the 1.2gig HDD that wa=
s in
> > the machine to boot the kernel then onto the SATA drive :)(any good
> > references for doing this style of boot?) So that means that any SATA c=
ard
> > should work as OF will not need to boot from it??

The one thing you should remember is that we use OF to actually load the=20
kernel. So the kernel itself has to not be on the SATA disk. :-|

[snip]

> Any SATA card with a supported controller should just work. That's the
> theory though, in real life there may be platform-specific issues
> because these things tend to be rather x86-centric so few of the drivers
> would have been thoroughly tested on anything else. There are people who
> used such cards in macppc, sparc64 and other PCI machines, better ask
> around on the respective mailing lists before buying anything. ( if a
> driver works on sparc64 chances are pretty good it will work on macppc
> too - same byte order, alignment requirements and so on )

Note: sparc64 is the same byte order, but actually has different alignment=
=20
requirements. It's LP64, while macppc is (currently) ILP32. Though you are=
=20
right that if it works on sparc64, chances are it works on macppc.

Take care,

Bill

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J--