Subject: FW: Questions about Performa 6360.
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: pyrotek <pyrotek@internode.on.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2005 19:37:01
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael [mailto:macallan18@earthlink.net]=20
Sent: Friday, 22 April 2005 09:58
To: Timo Sch=F6ler
Cc: wanker4freedom@web.de; pyrotek@internode.on.net; =
port-macppc@NetBSD.org
Subject: Re: Questions about Performa 6360.

Hello,

> > 1) Are Comm Slot 2 Ethernet cards supported if so what ones or all?
That's just an odd-shaped PCI slot if I remember correctly, so if the =
chip
on your CS-II card is supported on PCI cards it should work.

-- I can't seem to find any of the comm. Slot cards listed they all seem =
be newer PCI cards. Do we know for sure that comm. Slot is even =
supported?
If so can someone please point me at the obvious :)

> but you have to take into account, that even if the card is supported, =

> you may not be able to boot from it -- because it's not supported by=20
> the OF (unless you get a supported model i think, e.g. from Acard [1]=20
> or Sonnet [2]). however, you could boot from the network, from CD, =
from=20
> a CF card (there are those nifty little CF <-> IDE adaptors ;) etc.

-- Booting from SATA I care not, I will be using the 1.2gig HDD that was =
in
the machine to boot the kernel then onto the SATA drive :)(any good
references for doing this style of boot?) So that means that any SATA =
card
should work as OF will not need to boot from it??

sounds
like a good idea, the Performa's built-in IDE isn't really fast and this =
way
you don't need an OF-supported SATA card, the ones sold by Sonnet and so =
on
which come with the right ROMs tend to be more expensive than generic,
ROM-less ones, the price difference should exceed what you'd pay for an
IDE->CF adaptor and a CF card big enough to hold a couple of kernels and
probably a small rescue system.

have fun
Michael

-- this would be nice but I am trying to keep cost down so booting off =
the
1.2gig hdd will hafto do.=20

Thanks everyone for your time!