Subject: Re: Questions about Performa 6360.
To: <pyrotek@internode.on.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2005 14:02:41
hi,

> Hello,
>
>>> 1) Are Comm Slot 2 Ethernet cards supported if so what ones or all?
> That's just an odd-shaped PCI slot if I remember correctly, so if the
> chip on your CS-II card is supported on PCI cards it should work.
>
>> but you have to take into account, that even if the card is supported,
>> you may not be able to boot from it -- because it's not supported by
>> the OF (unless you get a supported model i think, e.g. from Acard [1]
>> or Sonnet [2]). however, you could boot from the network, from CD,
>> from
>> a CF card (there are those nifty little CF <-> IDE adaptors ;) etc.
> sounds like a good idea, the Performa's built-in IDE isn't really fast
> and this way you don't need an OF-supported SATA card, the ones sold
> by Sonnet and so on which come with the right ROMs tend to be more
> expensive than generic, ROM-less ones, the price difference should
> exceed what you'd pay for an IDE->CF adaptor and a CF card big enough
> to hold a couple of kernels and probably a small rescue system.

yes, that lame IDE controller may be a horrible thing using the machine
it's intended to be (as CVS server etc.).

booting from CF (for example, booting from net or CD should also be
possible and ends up with the same advantages) gets you rid off i) the
need of an OF-aware controller (Sonnet, Acard, which are indeed more
expensive then commodity peecee stuff) and ii) keeps you out of the
size-troubles mentioned.

cheers!

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.