Subject: Re: Odd problem with OF on G4
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2005 20:59:46
On Apr 19, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Donald Lee wrote:

> At 7:11 AM -0400 4/19/05, Dan LaBell wrote:
>> On Apr 18, 2005, at 10:22 PM, Donald Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I have a G4 on which I've installed NetBSD 2.0.2.  It seems to be
>>> working
>>> very well. :->
>>>
>>> I have a Mac OS 9 partition on the disk, that sometimes comes in
>>> handy.
>>> However, if I ever let it boot into Mac OS 9, I can't get OF back
>>> with
>>> cmd-opt-O-F.  I have to reset PRAM (cmd-opt-P-R) and then re-enter
>>> my boot params.
>>
>> Do you mean, it just keeps booting mac os9, ignoring cmd-opt-o-f or
>> dead screen?
>> And you have to hold the power button to turn off?
>
> Once I boot into Mac OS 9, it will "automatically" boot into 9 just
> fine, but if I do the "cmd-opt-O-F" to get to OF, I get a black
> screen.  The only way to get to NetBSD is to do "cmd-opt-P-R" and then
> boot with "cmd-opt-O-F" and re-enter the boot params.

OF can stay blank sometimes, not initializing the screen, though I've
only seen it
when autobooting, not when going into OF via cmd-opt-O-F...  mac
doesn't turn on
the screen in OF until in the 'quit' routine (it provides the 0> prompt
loop),
and if autobooting it doesn't turn it on all, it gets turned on later.
I guess apple doesn't think OF banner is pretty, so they hide it, by
keeping the display off.

But this isnt a autobooting... If you type "bye" does it reboot? or
"shut-down"?
Is nvramrc set ?  Bad code there maybe?

(Note to self: see when and if nvramrc is eval'ed rel. to quit. )