Subject: Re: storing nvaliases in NVRAM ('NVRAMRC not valid')
To: zeta.orionis <zeta.orionis@gmail.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2005 12:52:22
--Signature_Tue__19_Apr_2005_12_52_22_-0400_UOqqoar+xg54jVsQ

> This looks like a good way... my nvaliases have now mysteriously=20
> vanished and I can't boot at all, even with the long (/pci...) command;=20
> I get a few lines after XCOFF and then
> open /netbsd: No such file or directory
> open /netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> open /netbsd.macppc: No such file or directory
then ofwboot didn't find the kernel, probably looked at the wromg partition=
.=20
The proper boot command would be=20
boot hd:x/ofwboot.xcf hd:y/netbsd
with x and y set to the proper partition numbers.

> 1) when booting BSD I got a 'Warning: no swap space configured' message=20
> (along with a few other warnings): should I have a separate partition=20
> for swap space (or can it use a directory as swap)? If I have a 6GB HD=20
> and 4GB is devoted to NetBSD at present, how big should that partition=20
> be?
You can use a swap file ( via vnode which should be in all GENERIC kernels =
) but I wouldn't recommend it, better use a traditional swap partition. Siz=
e should be 2-3 times main memory size, but it doesn't have to ( in case yo=
u have a LOT of memory ). Running without swap is possible but will cause a=
ll kinds of weirdness since some programs assume that there's always a swap=
 space ( gcc for instance. My iBook G4 has 640MB RAM but I can't compile QT=
3 without a swap space. But it does compile on machines where RAM+swap is l=
ess than 640MB ).

> 2) I didn't customise the installation last time. Should I be=20
> specifying the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel? -- I think sysinst installed all=20
> of them before and used GENERIC.
There is no LAPTOP kernel for macppc, at least as far as I know. GENERIC sh=
ould be fine.

> Oh yes, and when Open Firmware won't give me a 0 > prompt because it's=20
> waiting for me to type something acceptable for it to boot, what's the=20
> alternative to forcibly shutting down by holding the power button?
command-ctrl-powerbutton causes a hard reset but that's probably not what y=
ou wanted. On Sun OpenBOOT ( the ancestor of OF, current versions are more =
or less OF-compliant ) there's STOP-A which gets you out of pretty much any=
thing ( even the operating system ) but I don't know if there's an equivale=
nt in Apple's OF.

have fun
Michael