Subject: Re: storing nvaliases in NVRAM ('NVRAMRC not valid')
To: zeta.orionis <zeta.orionis@gmail.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2005 06:38:42
On Apr 18, 2005, at 11:22 AM, zeta.orionis wrote:

> Ah! I had set use-nvramrc? back to false in one of my attempts at
> resetting things.
> So now, having having got rid of everything in nvramrc except
> devalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
> I can type
> boot bsd
> and it works.
Cool. I need to look at this again, might make for a better menu.

> I'm still confused about
> * why nvalias stores as a devalias
Because nvramrc is really just a string variable, that gets eval'ed
during power up
before boot.   It isn't all of nvram, all the env variables
(printenv/setenv) are in
nvram somewhere.   devalias is what you'd type in at forth prompt, so
its what goes
in nvramrc.

> * why nvstore STILL tells me nvramrc is invalid. I was following the
> INSTALL doc, which gives this as the storing aliases sequence:
> 0 > nvalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
> 0 > nvstore
> 0 > setenv use-nvramrc? true
> 0 > reset-all
>
> Because there is a difference between the updated OF 3 and non-updated
> OF 3?
Install doc is wrong then.   I have Apple's OF Readme, I can't find a
link to it anymore,
but I still have the printout, also inside forth via 'see' I was able
to confirm the docs
you need to call nvedit first -- SO apple's docs and actual OF code
say different.   I don't think its updated OF 3.  I wonder if the docs
are confused
with OF 2 or maybe sun's openboot... I don't know.   Actually.  If you
follow that
you get an error message, but since you don't need nvstore, since you
never used nvedit,
, if you keep typing, and ignore the error, it will work.