Subject: Re: Problem: OF reset
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/14/2005 09:47:13
On 2005-04-14, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> acidentally, I reseted the OF. I don't have a MiniDin-8 <-> DB9 cable
>> and my local shop doesn't have them available. Right now, I can't access the
>> OF prompt and OS9 isn't installed (NetBSD is, but it doesn't boot because
>> boot-device is wrong). My question is: how can I make the boot floppies
>> since I don't have any OS[8|9|X] ? Can someone dump (on x86) an OS8 boot floppy,
>> that way allowing me to install OS 9 ?
>>
>> This is Open Firmware 1.0.5 and System Disk doesn't work properly, only
>> BootVars.
>
> The (in)famous System 7.5 Network Access Disk is what you need. Get it here:
> http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin
>
> If you can't get it decompressed let me know and I'll mail you something you
> can directly dd on t 3.5" floppy.
> ( this should be a MacBinary II encoded StuffIt archive with an unpacker in
> the resource fork - any StuffIt expander should be able to handle it )

Before sending the original post, I tried StuffIt Expander for Linux, but
somehow I still don't know what command line options. Also, it creates 3
files: "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.data", "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.info"
and "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.rsrc" and my guess is that I should use
the .data file skiping some header as http://macfaq.org/software/macos.shtml
says, no ? Btw, what options should I use for stuffit expander ?

If you never use stuffit expander for Linux here is the usage text:
[...]
-e=  --eol=[unix|win|mac]       text type for expanded files
[...]
-m=  --macbinary=[off|auto|on]  MacBinary output option for two-fork expanded
files
[...]
-t=  --text=[off|auto|on]       text conversion for expanded files

(other options were omitted because they have are useless in this context).

Thanks in advance.
--
 Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>        http://www.netbsd-pt.org/users/rpaulo/