Subject: Re: Getting an iBook G3?
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2005 23:15:21
hi,

>> If I get it, I wouldn't like to have to buy any software to make it
>> usable.  Furthermore, I doubt Mac OS X could work fine in it (hey, I
>> may
>> be wrong!).  So my idea would be to install NetBSD 3.0_BETA on it all
>> alone.
>
> A 600 MHz G3 is more than fast enough to comfortably run OS X provided
> you have at least 256 megs. Since memory is so cheap, you might even
> go for a single 512 meg SO-DIMM. I have a first generation iMac
> upgraded with a 600 MHz G3, and it runs OS X just fine - even runs
> Final Cut Express.
>
> Of course, running NetBSD, 128 megs is more than enough for most
> things.

2002 i had an iBook G3/600 (or 700, not sure) with maximum RAM -- it
rocked (hey, this was Mac OS X 10.2!).

very important for Mac OS X is that you have accelerated gfx, i.e. a
card that supports Quartz Extreme. this is pretty standard for every
iBook of the never generations (not the blueberry, grey and lime).

put a not-accelerated gfx in a dual 2.5GHz G5 and every G4/350 with
Radeon runs circles around it :D

NetBSD is surely the far less resource consuming of both, alas it's
also surely less 'productive' in means of the typical Mac user's
application profile (DTP, gfx, digital imaging, rendering, etc.).

regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.