Subject: Getting an iBook G3?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2005 22:38:30
Hi all,

[please CC me, or reply privately if you prefer, as I'm not subscribed
to the list... yet?]

I've been offered an iBook G3 at 600Mhz.  (I don't have more information
about it yet, but I think I can expect it to have, at least, 128MB of
RAM, from what I've seen in some pages.)

As I don't know anything about Macs with the PPC architecture (I only
have a Performa 630, which is an old 68k model), I'm not sure about
getting it or not.

If I get it, I wouldn't like to have to buy any software to make it
usable.  Furthermore, I doubt Mac OS X could work fine in it (hey, I may
be wrong!).  So my idea would be to install NetBSD 3.0_BETA on it all
alone.

Based on my previous experience with the mac68k, which needs a copy of
Mac OS to boot NetBSD... is this required in NetBSD/macppc?  I think the
answer is not, but I'd like to be sure.

Secondly, how well is the hardware supported by the NetBSD port?
Networking? The airport card (dunno if it has one)? Graphics?

That's it.  Sorry if these questions sound very stupid.  They are
probably part of some FAQ (and I see some related things in the NetBSD
FAQ)... but they seem not to address these exact questions related to
this model.

Thanks!

PS: And The-non-NetBSD-related-question: does 220 euros sound like too
much for such a computer?  I did a bit of research and similar
second-hand iBooks seem to be more expensive.  But dunno if it is worth
it (no idea about ppc prices...).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/