Subject: Re: ATI Rage II firmware?
To: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@extremecode.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/07/2005 19:01:42
First you need to check the ROM and make sure that it is:
a.) Actually an EEPROM that is flashable.
b.) Large enough to hold the Mac code. I believe it needs to be 64k for
the Rage II/Pro cards, but its been a few years.

Generally speaking mac video cards tend to have larger firmware images
than their exact x86 counterparts, requiring the mac versions to have
larger flash chips. (and 200% markup for the extra 15 cents a card it
would cost to put a larger chip on it)

Then you have to find out if the DOS based flasher will flash the Mac
firmware to the card. I don't remember seeing a Mac flasher for the
Rage II/Pro series cards for mac, not to suggest that one doesn't
exist.

You can probably find an XClaim 3D/VR [128], Apple OEM Rage 128, or
Rage Orion on Ebay for a few bucks, most of the time it is far less
frustration.