Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2005 00:45:15
Hello,

> Floppies don't work to install as I just can't get the machine to boot
> properly from them. I always get an error, regardless of the floppy I
> use or what machine I write it on. Netboot just isn't possible on macs
> without built-in ethernet, as far as I know.
Yes, OF only knows about mace ethernet. No idea if there are any ethernet boards out there with Apple-compatible firmware ROMs.

> If you know of a way to do
> it, I'd be grateful, as it would make installing on this machine (and
> on my 6400) much easier. If I had a working CD burner, I could just
> make a bootable CD to install from, but mine died a few months back.
Hmm, I know OF is extremely picky about booting floppies, but is this also true for booting MacOS? At least my S900 seemed way more robust booting MacOS floppies than anything in OF.

> I'll check out the bootdisk, and see if there's a way to squeeze
> bootvars and the Sonnet extension on it.
I hope it helps...

good luck
Michael