Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2005 21:10:46
On Apr 4, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>
>>> Just a thought - if you boot MacOS, make sure the G3 is enabled and
>>> then boot to NetBSD from something like BootVars ( 'Write and reboot'
>>> ) - does NetBSD see the G3 or the 603?
>
>> Unfortunately, these machines only support a single HD, so I don't
>> really have a way to test that at the moment. I have space to install
>> NetBSD on the same drive as MacOS is on, but I have no way to get it
>> installed right now (floppies don't work to boot, and the machine
>> can't
>> netboot).
>> I'll see if I can figure out a way to test this.
>
> Is this a hardware problem? If not the (in)famous System 7.5 Network
> Boot Disk may help. It used to be available on ftp.apple.com, maybe
> the Sonnet extension and BootVars would fit on it with some squeezing.
>
> have fun
> Michael

Floppies don't work to install as I just can't get the machine to boot
properly from them. I always get an error, regardless of the floppy I
use or what machine I write it on. Netboot just isn't possible on macs
without built-in ethernet, as far as I know. If you know of a way to do
it, I'd be grateful, as it would make installing on this machine (and
on my 6400) much easier. If I had a working CD burner, I could just
make a bootable CD to install from, but mine died a few months back.
I'll check out the bootdisk, and see if there's a way to squeeze
bootvars and the Sonnet extension on it.

  -Adam