Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2005 22:34:48
Hello,

> Hmm, haven't checked if MacOS needs a reboot or anything after running
> NetBSD.
> I'll connect the MacOS drive to it as soon as it's done with this
> kernel build, and let you know. Anything else you want me to try or
> check while I'm booted into MacOS (9.2.2 is what's installed on the
> drive) ?

Hmm, I've been digging around a bit ( http://www.zone6400.com might be interesting for you ) - looks like the Linux folks got this kind of setup running by having MacOS enable the upgrade and then load the kernel directly. We can't do that right now, NetBSD is loaded by OpenFirmware. Sadly, I couldn't find any information on how MacOS or anything hands over control from the 603 to the G3.
It may be worth a try to check out NewerTech's G3 utilities, maybe they contain some useful hack ( they included one for my UMAX E100 board for instance )
The way to go is - in my opinion - to see if we can get NetBSD to boot while the G3 is still enabled. Looks like a job for the loader otherwise. ( Tim? )

have fun
Michael