Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2005 19:15:11
On Apr 4, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Michael wrote:

> Hello,

>>> That's why I was asking for dmesg output. Certainly won't break any
>>> speed records without L2 cache.
>>>
>>> What kind of card is it ( besides sitting in the L2 slot ) - does it
>>> need any additional software to be recognized by MacOS? If so - does
>>> it leave anything funny in OF's nvramrc or something like that? If
>>> you're lucky this thing can be enabled with some OF voodoo ( Tim?
>>> You're the OF guru. )
>
>> Luckily, if there's no way to get this working, I have the L2 cache
>> chip available (it's in a 6400/180 right now).
>> It's a Sonnet Crescendo card, 300MHz G3. It does require an extension
>> to work under MacOS, Nothing left in the nvramrc that I'm aware of.
>
> Just a thought - if you boot MacOS, make sure the G3 is enabled and
> then boot to NetBSD from something like BootVars ( 'Write and reboot'
> ) - does NetBSD see the G3 or the 603?
>
> have fun
> Michael

Unfortunately, these machines only support a single HD, so I don't
really have a way to test that at the moment. I have space to install
NetBSD on the same drive as MacOS is on, but I have no way to get it
installed right now (floppies don't work to boot, and the machine can't
netboot).
I'll see if I can figure out a way to test this.

  -Adam