Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2005 19:00:58
> That's correct, Michael and Matthew. I'm trying to enable the G3 upgrade card
> in the L2 cache slot. The original (and soldered on) 250MHz 603e works just
> fine. I realize that these cards are a major hack, and it may not be possible
> to get it to work, but it'd be nice to have the slightly faster machine if
> there's a way to do it.

There's a problem, I think. All of the L2 cache slot CPU accelerators were
automatic, since they cause the native processor to float. No accelerators
that I know about boot using one CPU, then switch somehow to another -
that'd be a complicated mess of code to rearrange the MMU tables and stuff
like that after the OS has booted and all of that.

So make sure your L2 accelerator is seated firmly, with nothing blocking
the socket, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you might
have a defective accelerator or motherboard.

John