Subject: A NetBSD Boot Floppy to Load Open Firmware settings?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Anthony de Almeida Lopes <guerrilla_thought@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/22/2005 09:07:58
--=-GRvpn77e/8XPsI1m4Kn5

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would like to collaborate on creating a
NetBSD boot floppy (probably a pair actually) for the sole purpose of
edit Open Firmware settings once you are booted into Linux but I believe
that these are Linux-specific and operate on a Linux /dev entry.
=20
The reason for something for this is that many Macs loose their firmware
settings when their batter runs out or for various other reasons. For
example, a PowerBook could loose it's settings if it's battery does not
hold charge and it isn't plugged into an outlet. Another case would be
when a desktop's PRAM (?) battery runs out and it isn't plugged into an
outlet.  Another reason is that often when booting into MacOS, it will
reset the firmware settings as well.

Having a disk like this would eliminate the need for carrying around a
MacOS install or restore CD and a copy of System Disk. It would also
simply the NetBSD install process.

Does something like this exist already? I don't think so because if it
did the install process wouldn't be the way it is.=20
Is it possible? Linux can do it.=20
Are there any copyright issues? I don't know, but I don't see a problem
as all we're doing is saving our own firmware settings to disk and re-
The other question is; is it necessary to boot into NetBSD at all? Can
this be automated from within Open Firmware. I don't know, but I see
that as a possibility. As long as Open Firmware can read the disk format
it can read the disk contents, but is it possible to load firmware
settings from that disk into Open Firmware without typing it all in by
hand.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, questions or even interest?
Let me know,
-- Anthony

--=-GRvpn77e/8XPsI1m4Kn5

--=-GRvpn77e/8XPsI1m4Kn5--