Subject: Re: mc0 performance
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/21/2005 10:06:03
At 1:06 PM +0000 3/21/05, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
>I just installed a 7300 and boy does mc0 run badly.
>On a good scp I get 100k/sec and only 50% packet loss.  My guess
>given that many folks don't have this is that it might be a
>subversion specific problem with mc0, ie, some MACE chips work
>correctly with the netbsd driver and some don't.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/01/13/0010.html

is a more recent thread.

The patch was commited:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/01/15/0000.html

I have a complete rewrite of the DDBDMA engine for the mc* driver almost
finished. I finally figured out what the channel errors were being caused
by (it's actually not an error but an indication by mace for software flow
control). Other things have kept me from finishing it. The rewrite should
eliminate the last of the problems with the mc* driver. Most people won't
see it, but the mc* driver will fail after several downloads of large files
at the max throughput of the 10Mps network. It'll also fail after a
get-put-get ftp combination at 10Mps.

The above patch will make mc quite useable for ssh and transfers below
500KB/s or so.

tim