Subject: Re: -current crashes on Power Mac G3 b&w (tr included)
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/17/2005 19:17:05

>> Attachment of SCSI devices happens after the main configuration tree,
>> usually in a kthread, for this reason. So yes, a few devices require
>> interrupts for configuration, but they are specially deferred until
>> after the normal configuration tree is finished.
>
> Ok, I understand. Thanks.
>
>>> Ah, perhaps I'm focused on one aspect of your commit message. In
>>> preserving
>>> the interrupt state, this does include when it was on before trap was
>>> called, correct?
>>
>> Yes. Look at the code; instead of setting PSL_EE in the MSR, it
>> selects the old value of PSL_EE from the saved MSR (srr1) and or's
>> that in to the current MSR (which would have it cleared, as nearly all
>> MSR bits are cleared on entry to an exception handler).
>
> Yes, I had looked at the code before speaking :-) The commit message
> focused on not enabling interrupts when not already enabled; as such I
> did
> not think about the code preserving the status until your last
> response.
>
> I appreciate your time in explaining this.

hi,

i'm about trying it again with today's -current -- before i try, is
there a patch or sth. available i could try?

tia & regards,

timo

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.