Subject: Re: Beginner's guide to NetBSD on MacMini ( was Re: HI JASON, WELCOME TO OPEN FIRMWARE!)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Dominik Epple <epple@tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/16/2005 09:53:01
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:03:23AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> After reading your posting
> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/03/15/0003.html), here are
> a few ideas that I think should be added to a "Beginner's guide to NetBSD
> on MacMini":
>
>  * I guess the first step would be "boot MacOS X"?
>  * that "dd" command nukes MacOS X, right?
>  * After "reset the mini", remind people how to get into OFW
>  * What is "netbsd.macppc"? Where does it come from, where is it put?
>  * sysinst: why move partition A (wd0a?) 1MB in? skip bootblock?
>  * Instructions on getting X going would be nice, and maybe a few examples
>    on how to get stuff like KDE and OpenOffice going (no sh*t! :).

I would greatly appreciate that.

I spent some nights (however, some nights in which I learned A LOT)
installing NetBSD on my Mac Mini. Being new to Macs and nearly new
to NetBSD this was an exciting experience.

Now NetBSD is running fine, besides of keyboard/mouse problems. I did
not find the time yet to work on this and thus did not post here. I
wanted to do my homework first :)

But since this topic is addressed now in this mailing list, I would
like to tell you that I would be very interested in such a document --
especially getting X w/ mouse and keyboard working. I guess KDE and
OpenOffice and stuff follows then very easily (doh, this sounds like
some very optimistic statements from someone not knowing better...)

Regards, Dominik.