Subject: Install guides (was Re: HI JASON, WELCOME TO OPEN FIRMWARE!)
To: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/16/2005 00:25:30
On Mar 15, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Bill Squier wrote:

> You will note that Hubert was discussing a Beginners Guide to
> installing the
> Mac _MINI_, as it exists today.  I think it's important to have such a
> series of "pocket guides" for the most common configurations (full
> install,
> 2 partition) available.
>
> This series of "pocket Guides" would fill a large hole in our
> documentation.

Hmmm.  Point taken, but that's not "the NetBSD way" since it'd have the
same info duplicated in different locations, each having to be edited
separately.

I'd be more inclined to rip everything out of the INSTALL notes except
booting from the official CD-R.  Burners are very common and almost all
supported models have built-in CD-ROM drives.  Either that, or expand
the "quick guide for the impatient" and only describe OF 3 machines in
that section.

But again, a bootloader that doesn't require the user to fight Open
Firmware would be the real solution.

   -- MW