Subject: re: HI JASON, WELCOME TO OPEN FIRMWARE!
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/15/2005 17:30:26
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Besides such a Beginner's guide, merging the data into
> src/distrib/notes/macppc would be much appreciated! :)

[sigh], we've been through this before.  The installation procedure can
vary wildly depending on which model and which media are available.  There
are installation steps that are necessary on some models but will destroy
your computer on others (think load-base).

If anyone can come up with a reasonable way to re-arrange the install notes
*within the framework of how NetBSD currently generates INSTALL notes* I'd
be happy to work on it.

Alternatively, (and IMO a better course of action) would be to create a
much much much better installation procedure and more capable bootloader.
There's only so far we can take our ofwboot.xcf in terms of user
documentation since it relies so heavily on the user knowing Open
Firmware.

> Extending htdocs/guide/en's "II. System installation and related issues"
> chapter (http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/part-install.html) will get you extra
> karma. (But that probably needs some work in the existing text
> first...volunteers to work on that are very welcome!)

Granted.  But the same two problems apply: Instructions for OF 1 & 2
machines contradict instructions for OF 3 machines; User must learn and
know how to use Open Firmware.

   -- MW