Subject: Re: ppc benchmarks, quick and dirty. 604ev, g3, mips
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2005 19:31:28
Hi,

> there has been some talk here lately over 604ev and its "might power" in
> FPU, memory badnwith, G3 being jsut a pepped up 603, etc etc.

The 604's FPU is in fact faster than the G3's. That's why IBM's 604 based
machines did so well in the supercomputing lists. But the older
Macintosh's memory bus really was the limiting factor.

> but you can see that teh g3 appears much faster even in this almost pure
> FPU bound processing! I htink the assumptions that the G3 has bad FPU
> don't generate from hard data.

> 4096 samples, the data set is
> 2+4 arrays of doubles of 4096 samples
> that is 6 * sizeof(double) * 4096 = 6 * 6 * 4096 = 196608KBytes assuming
> 8 bytes doubles.

If you want to see the actual FPU performance and not the memory bus'
limitations, try FPU datasets less than 32k. The 604ev's 1 meg L2 was 100
MHz, and the memory bus only 50 MHz; IBM's 604 machines generally had much
better memory busses.

John