Subject: Re: 9600s and 2 processors
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/11/2005 22:09:01
At 07:58 -0500 03/11/2005, Michael wrote:

>>   If so, does that mean that one could stick a 9600 dual processor
>>board in say a 7300?

>Yes and no. The 9600 had a slightly different CPU slot so it could
>use 604ev boards,
>  these won't work in other Macs. Most CPU cards that work in a 7300
>should work in
>  a 9600 though.

There were two versions of the 9600.  The original 9600 has the same
CPU slot as any other PowerSurge (7300 - 9600) machine.  A dual
processor card will work fine in one of the original 9600 machines.

The second 9600 was called the PM 9600 Enhanced and it has the
slightly modified CPU slot which probably won't run the dual
processor cards, although that is not a certainty, unless someone has
specific info on it.   The 9600 Enhanced and 8600 Enhanced were the
machines which shipped with the 250+ MHz 604EV cards, as someone else
mentioned earlier.

There are third party upgrades which run in both the Enhanced models
and the original models, so there is no absolute reason that a CPU
card can't work in both types of slot.   However, it is well known
that the 604EV (Mach V) cards do not work in the earlier machines,
and the earlier Apple standard CPU cards don't (IIRC) work in the
Enhanced machines.  I am uncertain about the dual and four processor
cards.

At this point in time, buying a 9600 on the used market, it may be
difficult to make the distinction unless you get an original owner
who remembers what CPU shipped in the machine from Apple.

There are three relatively simple ways to distinguish the 8600 and
9600 from the 8600 Enhanced and 9600 Enhanced.

First, in Apple System Profiler (Mac OS), the ROM Revision (under
Product Information)  in the original machines will be $77D.34F2 (or
is it F1).   On the Enhanced models, the ROM Revision will be
$77D.34F5.

Second, the numbers written on the four ROM chips will be 341S0280
through 341S0283 on the original and 341S0380 through 341S0383 on the
Enhanced.   The ROM chips are 44 pin chips with twenty-two pins down
each long side and approximately 1.1" X 0.5".  Unfortunately, on the
8600 the ROM chips are on the bottom side of the board.

Third, in the 9600, the four ~1" square cache chips behind the PCI
slots will be missing on the Enhanced model and installed on the
original.   On the 8600 the cache slot (DIMM socket) will be
installed on the original and missing on the Enhanced.

Jeff Walther