Subject: Re: 9600s and 2 processors
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/11/2005 14:02:57
>> Thanks for the answer.  So it sounds like one can then buy the dual
>> processor card and a 9600 uniprocessor and just swap them, right?
> Exacly. Too bad dual G3 or G4 cards are still way overpriced.

are there dual G3 or G4 cards for those machines?

> On the other hand - you may want a cheap (single CPU) G3 card with big
> and fast L2 cache instead. The 604es have the better FPUs but they're
> seriously hampered by the slow bus ( max. 50MHz -> 400MB/s ), even
> more so if you have two of them - they share the same bus, so for
> anything that's not purely CPU-bound you'd be better off with a G3 -
> the fast L2 cache vastly improves things. In a 9600 you can use a
> 604ev with L2 cache on the CPU card though, this combination would be
> even better than a G3 I guess, but you can get G3s at 500MHz and more
> while the 604s max out at about 300MHz ( the fastest ones IBM used ran
> at 375MHz but I've never seen or heard of a Mac with a 604 faster than
> 300MHz )

german company 'Phase 5' (well-known Amiga player, but bankrupt end of
the 90's) produced 375MHz 604 cards for those machines...

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.