Subject: Re: 9600s and 2 processors
To: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/11/2005 13:22:18
hi,

> Hi,
>
> [sorry for the somewhat offtopic message, but it will run NetBSD
> when installed so it's not too far offtopic :-)]
>
> The home network is a bit short of (cheap) CPU so I was thinking
> of adding a 9600 to the mix.  Apple produced a 9600/200/mp system
> which I missed buying on ebay last week (Zuerich is too far to drive),
> so, I was wondering, can one buy a 9600 single processor machine
> and put a second processor in it?  If so, does one have to use the
> 200 mhz processors?  Or is there something special about the multi
> processor boxes?
>
> Thanks in advance!

the box you mentioned had it's CPU(s) sitting on a daughterboard; the
logic board itself does not have a second CPU slot (but some clones DO
have, IIRC e.g. the UMAXens -- but they req'd a special 2nd CPU
board!).

so if you want a 2nd 604(e), you have to remove the built-in card and
swap in the dual CPU card.

furthermore, there was a dual board from Daystar (named 'nPower 360+'
or similar) which was used to power up 7500/7600 and so on, but they
are quite rare (e.g. on ePay).

HTH,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.