Subject: Re: reaching ddb via Stealth Serial Port on G3 b&w
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2005 20:26:33
>> bad company. very bad... :(
>
> Too bad!

you name it ;)

>> yes, that's true; if it'd be remote, then this would be very useful ;)
>
> It is very useful - my G4 is colocated, and the serial port has saved
> me several times from a drive.

'til now i use Sun (and one sgi ;) only for this purpose. i have to
replace a broken peecee (are there any non-broken peecees put there?
SCNR), so this one will go out to an NewWorld machine i guess.
nevertheless you have to find a _really 'professional'_ provider in
germany, which is not that easy. professional -> can provide serial
access || has heard of 'PortMaster' etc. :/

>> so, just one question left: the kernel 'recognizes' the Stealth as
>> the default serial port for accessing DDB on the machine?
>
> If the kernel is handed the serial port as the OF input / output, then
> yes, that's all.

yip, then i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

> The ZS_ABORT works on the Stealth (but I have never seen it work on an
> older PowerMac with built-in serial), and the only other change you
> might want to do is have this line in /etc/ttys:
>
> ttyZ0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt100   on secure
>
> (console and E0 can be off)

but this is not required, is it? the thing is that i want to get access
to a kernel which drops into DDB while booting.

> Other than that, I didn't do anything special - just OF settings, DDB,
> ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT, and /etc/ttys.
>
> John

thanks, john!

regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.