Subject: Re: RAIDframe on macppc?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/15/2005 10:40:51
>> looking for a non-x86 server i wonder whether macppc supports booting
>> off a RAID1 (via RAIDframe)?
>
> Probably as well as some other platforms do.  The advantage of RAID 1
> is that if you set both drives up to be boot drives, the bootloader
> doesn't need to know it's RAID.  I've only tried that on x86, though.
>
> I know that RAIDframe has gotten a lot of work recently.  I don't know
> if that addresses John's concerns.
>
> -allen

hm,

i just wonder whether it's possible to boot from cdrom like booting
from CF attached to IDE...

AFAICS, the only thing needed is to put the bootloader and kernel onto
a cd (like the install isos)?

the RAID, configured to hold /, /usr etc., should be recognized by the
kernel?

i'm just curious in case i don't get an CF->IDE converter ASAP.

furthermore, booting from an USB stick should also work, shouldn't it?

tia & regards,

timo