Subject: macppc9500 cu from ttya (modem port): Permission denied
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2005 15:10:24
 hi it's tom
i'm wriging regarding serial connection to cisco
router from macppc
here's what I've done to determine what is my ttya
(modem port) in /dev

I've set fake output device in open firmware so
everything was sent to ttya
I've booted up mac via serial and here's what's
interesting on terminal
> setenv output-device screen
> reset-all
[now using serial]
(booting up)
Feb 14 22:23:57 wally getty[317]: /dev/ttyE0: Device
not configured
NetBSD/macppc (wally) (tty00)
login: root
root login refused on this terminal.
Feb 14 22:24:46 wally login: LOGIN root REFUSED ON TTY
ttyZ0
login: wally

I assume terminal I'm connecting from is ttyZ0
so I reboot mac set proper output device and boot
netbsd
[now using ssh session]
bash-3.00# cu -l /dev/ttyZ
ttyZ0  ttyZ1
bash-3.00# cu -l /dev/ttyZ0 -s 9600
cu: open (/dev/ttyZ0): Permission denied
cu: /dev/ttyZ0: Failed to use line
bash-3.00# cu -l /dev/ttyZ1 -s 9600
Connected.
after this session just freezes

wally#  cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 9600
cu: open (/dev/tty00): Permission denied
cu: /dev/tty00: Failed to use line
bash-3.00$ dmesg | grep tty
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1

is there anything wrong with /etc/ttyaction file or
/etc/ttys?
Has anybody got any ideas on that?
just in addition want to say that cisco router is
working fine cause doing
#cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 9600
works fine
there could be a problem with a cable I guess I used
following:
mac:minidin8----------db25<-db26connector(not a null modem)db9<--db9-rj45----rollower-rj45:cisco