Subject: Re: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2005 06:01:12
On Feb 13, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> HOWEVER, if I use 'scsictl sd1 start', then use scsictl to detach and
> rescan the bus, the drive works OK:
>
> The "Auto Start" jumper is enabled.  The "Disable Sync" jumper is
> enabled.  (without  "disable sync", there are HBA errors).  I've tried
> "disable FW negotiation" and "Disable Unit attention" to no avail.

On some seagate drives, the ME jumper is Motor Start Enable. Most of
the time this means do not spin the drive motor, wait for the HBA to
send a start command. So, to get the motor to spin immediately at power
up you probably want to remove that jumper. The only jumpers that I
typically end up setting are disable sync negotiation and enable
parity. The meaning of the motor start jumper might be the opposite of
what you expect, I know I've been bitten by that before.

I also have had issues with tagged command queueing depth on IBM drives
under Linux. The aic7xxx driver picks a default depth of 32 which is
apparently too much for the drive and causes "non-medium hardware
failure" errors frequently. Disabling TCQ or limiting the depth to 8
and I haven't seen that problem since.