Subject: Re: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2005 20:14:01
On Sunday, February 13, 2005, at 05:15 PM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to use this disk in
> the setup I've got,  and I'm hoping someone can clue me in.
>
> I've got an IBM 18G scsi disk with SCA connector, and an SCA<->50-pin
> adapter.  This is connected to the internal scsi bus of my Power Tower
> Pro (OF 1.0.5, if it matters... mesh0), and no matter what jumpers I
> jump, it comes up as 'drive offline':
>
> sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS, 0430> disk fixed
> sd1: drive offline

I have 2 of the drives, though not my mac, but on my pc, with a tekram
controller.
Docs can be found at:
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Ultrastar_18XP
jumpers: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dghs/dghsjum.htm
Also using an 80 pin to 50 adapter.
I have 1 configured to delay power up, but configured the other to
power up
normally.  Actually, I'd have both installed, but the drive is little
too tall to fit,
in the 3 1/4 in bay, so I have 1 in a using  a rail kit, in 5 1/4" bay

from my dmesg:
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS, 0430> SCSI3 0/direct fixed
sd1: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl, 20 head, 218 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566480
sectors

> HOWEVER, if I use 'scsictl sd1 start', then use scsictl to detach and
> rescan the bus, the drive works OK:
>
> # scsictl sd1 start
> # scsictl scsibus1 detach 5 0
> sd1 detached
> # scsictl scsibus1 scan 5 0
> sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS18Y, 0430> disk fixed
> sd1: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl, 20 head, 218 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566480
> sectors
>
> The "Auto Start" jumper is enabled.  The "Disable Sync" jumper is
> enabled.  (without

I have disable sync set, dis- TI sync .  as shipped the only jumpers
were
on 1 for id, 1 on autostart , and 1 on dis TI sync.
Sure your setting the right jumpers? and if there are jumpers on the
converter as well?
I think maybe the sense of autostart is reversed.