Subject: Re: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2005 14:32:29
Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>On Sunday 13 February 2005 22:23, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>

>>Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>>>Have you actually tried using it without the "scsictl sd1 start"?  It
>>>should be spun up automatically.  Even if it's not, issuing the START
>>>command and then reopening the device should work fine.
>>>

>>yes, I have tried, and it doesn't work.
>>

>What, exactly, does it do?

(note that I'm switching things around, so this is the same disk even
though it now lives at sd0)

# fsck /dev/rsd0a
fsck: cannot open `/dev/rsd0a': Device busy
# scsictl sd0 start
# fsck /dev/rsd0a
** /dev/rsd0a
** File system is clean; not checking
#

Another weird thing is  that in some of the (still unworking)
configurations, I hear the drive spin up at boot, even though it _still_
doesn't work without the 'start'.  :/

+j