Subject: Re: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2005 22:23:00
On Sunday 13 February 2005 22:15, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to use this disk in the
> setup I've got,  and I'm hoping someone can clue me in.
>
> I've got an IBM 18G scsi disk with SCA connector, and an SCA<->50-pin
> adapter.  This is connected to the internal scsi bus of my Power Tower
> Pro (OF 1.0.5, if it matters... mesh0), and no matter what jumpers I
> jump, it comes up as 'drive offline':
>
> sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS, 0430> disk fixed
> sd1: drive offline
>

> HOWEVER, if I use 'scsictl sd1 start', then use scsictl to detach and
> rescan the bus, the drive works OK:

Have you actually tried using it without the "scsictl sd1 start"?  It should
be spun up automatically.  Even if it's not, issuing the START command and
then reopening the device should work fine.

In addition, most drives have a jumper that you can move to cause them to spin
up automatically when power is applied.