Subject: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2005 14:15:39
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to use this disk in the
setup I've got,  and I'm hoping someone can clue me in.

I've got an IBM 18G scsi disk with SCA connector, and an SCA<->50-pin
adapter.  This is connected to the internal scsi bus of my Power Tower
Pro (OF 1.0.5, if it matters... mesh0), and no matter what jumpers I
jump, it comes up as 'drive offline':

sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS, 0430> disk fixed
sd1: drive offline

HOWEVER, if I use 'scsictl sd1 start', then use scsictl to detach and
rescan the bus, the drive works OK:

# scsictl sd1 start
# scsictl scsibus1 detach 5 0
sd1 detached
# scsictl scsibus1 scan 5 0
sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS18Y, 0430> disk fixed
sd1: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl, 20 head, 218 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566480 sectors

The "Auto Start" jumper is enabled.  The "Disable Sync" jumper is
enabled.  (without  "disable sync", there are HBA errors).  I've tried
"disable FW negotiation" and "Disable Unit attention" to no avail.

Anyone know what I can do here?  I'd really, really like to use this 18G
disk instead of the  one that's there.  I could conceivably boot into
macos 8.mumble should  that really be necessary, but I'd rather not.

Suggestions, please?  I'm going nuts, here.

Thanks,

+j