Subject: Re: Success: iBook G4
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/29/2005 21:56:01
Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> writes:

> I've made an experimental driver for the thermal monitor / fan
> controller in my iBook G4 ( the 800MHz version. I guess yours would
> have the same chip, an Analog Devices ADT7467. The properties of
> /uni-n/ki2c/fan should tell you what kind you have), it's not in the
> cvs repository and would probably work only with -current though.
> It allows you to read the thermal sensors, CPU voltage and fan speed
> through envsys ( so gkrellm and friends see them ) and to set the
> temperature thresholds so you can control when the fan should kick in
> -
> useful since the default is pretty high and power saving doesn't work
> (yet) on the G4 models used in iBooks so the CPU runs pretty hot.

I tried the one at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/12/15/0014.html with the
2.0 kernel, and it seems to work fine.

Every time i run sysctl -a I get this in dmesg (different numbers each
time):

sysctl_lookup: rnode 0xd61bfd80 wrong version

and sysctl itself complains with:

sysctl: machdep.powersave: sysctl() failed with Invalid argument

It does list all parameters as expected, though.

I don't know if that's good or bad.  Reading temperatures and setting
fan limits works.

What are sensible temperature limits?

Magnus