Subject: Re: ofb proposal
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/29/2005 12:06:36
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:44:02PM -0500, Michael wrote:

> - - if we don't use ofb as console the current code will fall back to
> serial

also, the -current issue with the kernel correctly outputing console to the
video of your choice and then init using serial console anyway.  lately
proving to be very annoying as the machine that is acting as serial console
for the mac crashed the other day when i was in -current, and the reset of
that machine hangs the mac.  that's not good.  ;)

> - - maybe make the rest of ofb machine-independent, the other
> OpenFirmware / OpenBOOT platforms could use it.

this is never a bad idea.  the more MI things are, the better.

> - - a chance to reset the console in case - for instance - an Xserver
> crashes and fails to clean up after itself

or in the case of my 8600+Radeon, when the Xserver exits it never returns
the console back to the way it was.  xdm fixes this since it grabes the
video and resets it for its own needs, but if i use startx and then exit
X, i never get my video back for text mode.

> So far there are two drivers which we could use - machfb from sparc64 (
> in -current, should work on macppc but is untested because the only ATi
> Rage chip I have is soldered on my U10's mainboard. It compiles
> flawlessly though. ) and my experimental voodoofb which supports
> Voodoo3 graphics boards.

what do you need to test?  i'm sure i could find someone who could dig up
the card you need to test this.

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."