Subject: Re: do i keep NetBSD on this box?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/24/2005 21:05:23
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:40:50PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Well, you could run Xmacppc :p
> Not really :)

:)

> I rather think the Emulate3Button stuff is either not properly
> configured or it's confused - you said you had to remap buttons? Maybe
> it can't cope with that.

i was going to mention the left-handed mouse setup, but thinking about it
i now realize that was on IRIX with Xsgi, not XFree86, so i'm not going to
say anything at all about how it worked fine.  ;)

> That's strange. Here they work just fine. Check with xev - if the keys
> trigger the right events then it's not the Xserver's fault.

ok, Down and Right both now do the right thing, although i'm not real sure
what i changed (if anything, or maybe i didn't notice Right working before)
BUT! here is the difference:

on keypress even of Up and Left i see:

state 0x0, keycode 126 (keysym 0xff51, Left), same_screen YES,
XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 100

state 0x0, keycode 170 (keysym 0xff52, Up), same_screen YES,
XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 98

for Right and Down i see:

state 0x0, keycode 104 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,

state 0x0, keycode 183 (keysym 0xff53, Right), same_screen YES,

so, what is the XKeysymToKeycode stuff. that seems to be the culprit.

> >i would feel bad dumping it after all that work.
> It will be useful to others I guess.

it will be more useful to others if i can get a completely working setup
documented.  ;)

> Yeah, it's great for reading docs, but it's severely lacking elsewhere.

i'm doing some coding for it, and it's certainly coming in the right
direction, but they are concentrating on it being small and efficient,
which i think is commendable in the face of such monstrosities such as
netscape7, mozilla and IE.  ;)

> Konqueror works fine for me. If you have enough memory just let pkgsrc
> build it - preferrably over night, KDE code is full of templates and
> other things which slow the compiler down.

does it have a different name in pkgsrc?  i can't find it.

> I've seen the same rendering errors in galeon, epiphany and Mozilla,
> although in different degrees. The gtk1 variants seem to be less badly
> screwed, firefox-gtk1 was sort of usable.

see, that's the thing, the slightly older firefox was very usable on 2.0
for me (the weird lines on scrolling were the worst of it) and when i
updated pkgsrc, firefox got worse, but was still usable.  then i started
using the -current kernel and it's become completely unusable.

> Too bad Opera for Linux/PowerPC doesn't work - the last few times I
> tried it hung right after drawing the main window.

i've always liked Opera, and in fact spearheaded the effort to get it
ported to Solaris many years ago.  i should take a stab at that one
of these days.

well, that's hopefully at least two of the problems solved very soon now.
only two more to go.  ;)

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."