Subject: Re: do i keep NetBSD on this box?
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/24/2005 19:40:50

Hello,

>>> 2) Emulate3Buttons doesn't work.
>>
>> That's certainly no NetBSD issue - it's one with XFree86. It should
>
> well, the issue here is running NetBSD.  XFree86 going with that, since
> Aqua doesn't yet run on NetBSD.  ;)
Well, you could run Xmacppc :p
Not really :)

>> send the event for the middle button when you press both at the same
>> time ( no idea how strict the timing is though ), but don't ask me how
>> to configure it - last time I used it was about 9 years ago for a
>> couple of days, the man page for XF86Config should help.
>
> using xev i never see mouse button 2 come through when i press both.
> i see 1 and 3, but never a 2.  it seems like the adb code doesn't know
> how to properly deal with this pointing device perhaps?
I rather think the Emulate3Button stuff is either not properly
configured or it's confused - you said you had to remap buttons? Maybe
it can't cope with that.

>>> 3) i haven't quite gotten keyboard mappings right.
>>
>> xmodmap is your friend - use xev to find out which key code they send,
>> assign the right key symbol using xmodmap. Then store the keymap in
>> some file ( xmodmap -pke ) and load it in your .xinitrc. Yes, XFree86
>> could do a far better job supporting Macintosh hardware ( or wscons,
>> I'm not sure where things go wrong ) but this should be easy to figure
>> out.
>
> i sat down and did exactly that.  the arrow keys (not the keypad stuff)
> are still a little funky however.  they seem to work in vi, but like i
> said, only Ctrl+Down_Arrow works properly with bbkeys.
That's strange. Here they work just fine. Check with xev - if the keys
trigger the right events then it's not the Xserver's fault.

> in a way, i'm glad that OSX has been a battle to get onto this machine.
> you and tim spent a lot of time getting the radeon supported for me,
> and
> i would feel bad dumping it after all that work.
It will be useful to others I guess.

> oh, and i forgot one:
> 4) a web browser that doesn't suck.
>
> dillo is close, but there is a lot it doesn't do yet.
Yeah, it's great for reading docs, but it's severely lacking elsewhere.

>   firefox is a nightmare on NetBSD/macppc.
I agree.

>   what other options do i have?
Konqueror works fine for me. If you have enough memory just let pkgsrc
build it - preferrably over night, KDE code is full of templates and
other things which slow the compiler down.

>   if the firefox problems are indeed gecko based, that certainly cuts
> out a
> large percentage of the web browsers i can use.
I've seen the same rendering errors in galeon, epiphany and Mozilla,
although in different degrees. The gtk1 variants seem to be less badly
screwed, firefox-gtk1 was sort of usable.

Too bad Opera for Linux/PowerPC doesn't work - the last few times I
tried it hung right after drawing the main window.

have fun
Michael